Thursday, June 19, 2014

day 8: an angel

Who we are close to and form trusting bonds with depends solely on their involvement in our lives.

Just as we need guidelines and rules in life to maintain order and have direction, we have blood-relatives to have direction in relationships. What our bonds are will certainly not be black or white, and may not be defined at all. But they are most certainly there. I've come to realize that judging people will do no good in understanding relationships. But I do have the liberty to judge their actions. Similarly, certain relationships cannot be removed entirely from our lives, as they are not "good" or "bad," but they can be only marked with some distance and boundaries.

Who we are close to and form trusting bonds with depends solely on their involvement in our lives. These need not be our parents, siblings, or relatives. They can be friends. They can be transient like time, with us for a moment, and then never to be seen, leaving behind only the impact of their being.

I met a lady on the flight. She worked with the customs and immigrations department, and was flying Business Class for the first time. With only a small bag, she snuggled into the seat next to mine and sent a warm smile in my direction. I smiled and turned back to look outside the window. My mind was overcome with a strange sickness and emptiness. I wasn't nervous. I was unhappy. I left for this trip with so much excitement, but stories of the past seemed to yank on the strings of my soul. I could feel the tears looking to escape...but this was no time to cry! The plane took off and I reclined my seat in an attempt to sleep off the sadness. I noticed the lady on my side trying to figure out how to recline her seat, and started to help her learn the buttons. She spoke to me a little, and then with warmth in her eyes and a smile that touched my soul, said something unexpected, "You look so sad." Embarrassed, I realized she must have noticed me. I know I look like a zombie when I'm upset. The fact that she noticed cracked me open. From thereon, we talked some more and I told her the reason of our trip. She told me about her family, and her daughter in college. She must have been missing her daughter terribly. It was evident that she was an unconditionally giving mother, and very easy to talk to. Her face showed years of strength and levels of courage, and was lit up in smiles the whole time. In our conversations, she mentioned a few more times how I should not be sad, I should be smiling, and that everything will go well.

Finally! I found someone to share with my original excitement about the trip and I was excited back again! It was a beautiful and heart-warming moment and I wished to be able to talk to her on and on, but the flight was short and we bid good-bye. After we went to pull out our luggage, I wondered why meeting her had left such a huge impact on me. Was she a God-sent angel? I feel so much better now. Walking out the airport, we met with stormy, windy, wet weather and I smiled to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment