Thursday, June 12, 2014

day 1: my Indian dream

The flight was enjoyable, albeit a little delayed, but we still made it on time. The flight attendants were kind and patient, virtues I didn't similarly experience before in the airport, for which I then offered to fill out a feedback form, specifically mentioning names of the two female flight attendants who were especially nice. Often I find usual airport staff trying to shuffle and organize bunches of Indian passengers into lines - and these passengers come in many forms: some are patient and rule-abiding and often blend in to the white noise of the airport. Some are traveling for the first time and are often confused, struggling to find helpers in the airport who will be patient and communicate information clearly. Some don't know what's going on, but are afraid of being mislead or confused, and push through lines and fight their way to the officers on duty. In my opinion, airport staff should be trained to handle passengers of all types, without any frustration or bias. After all, their job is of customer service first and foremost.

After we landed, we stepped outside the airport, welcomed by a hot gush of air. Even though travel was 13 hours, I felt mostly clean and refreshed. But the 5 minutes walk to pull the luggage to the parking in the humid hotness of Delhi, changed my mind. Yup, I need to shower and change :)

The car was filled with discussions of the new changes in Delhi, criticisms mostly, criticisms glittered with smirks and laughter that only showed how hopeless everyone felt about India. Once again, I witnessed a small "accident" (no one was physically hurt - but their egos had surfaced enough to draw a crowd). A young boy on a bike (a motor-bike) and someone my dad's age were verbally arguing and their body language seeming intentionally threatening. Everyone turned around to see - I looked away. It makes me very sad :( Will I be that person some day? Will someone I know and care about be in that place someday?

I sensed today a general fear in our public. Fear of being overtaken (on the road or in a queue while waiting), fear of our needs being neglected (pleasing the immigration officer, being especially nice to officials). For these reasons, Indians have grown up with virtues of tolerance and persistence. And when I'm in India, I sense these characteristics resurfacing in a broken, weird way. I start feeling aggressive, angry, and pushy. And maybe because I place these feelings incorrectly in situations, I often feel displaced myself. Indians practice overcoming feelings of failure, sadness, or basically anything that keeps them from achieving their basic and immediate needs. Each Indian on the road has their mind on the most immediate agenda for the day and their focus is honed in on it. There isn't time for a long discussion to ponder our feelings or to discuss the complexities of life. There isn't time to think about how you would ideally want things to be. There is time only for tolerance or action, and time only to prioritize and get things done.

I guess we never want to hear things from others that we ourselves feel. I wish so badly to be proven wrong but it's hard when those you're closest to have adopted and taught you the fear. Our previous generation gloats about the "Indian culture" but then why is there so much fear in them to return to India? Why are they so free about criticizing and so hesitant to enact change? I guess I know "why" but what I'll never understand is their lack of interest in progressive change. Somewhere, with certain things, they have tolerated, accepted, and then given up. Giving up is the scariest thing in the whole world and I hope to God that I never give up on my Indian dream no matter how tough it gets.

The start hasn't been positive. And I'm starting to realize that before I really see India, I may need a new pair of glasses. Maybe I need to start this journey with the right people, so that I can be unblinded.

No comments:

Post a Comment